Hi Church Family:
As you may have heard, we postponed our church wide fast this past Sunday. As a staff we didn't have the time to gain vision for it and we didn't want to ask everyone fast with no purpose. That is just dieting.
"Prepare Ye the Way of The Lord"
One of my favorite worships songs in the past 15 years has to be Days of Elijah by Robin Mark. One of the lines in the song is:
"We are the voice in the desert crying, prepare ye the way of the Lord!"
This is found in Isaiah 40:3, Mark 1:3 and John 1:23.
He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as the prophet Isaiah said.”
And that is the vision for our fast as we start 2015. This is a year of Devotion to the Lord. Believe it or not, fasting will help us in this endeavor. Fasting helps us crucify our desire for other good things in order that we hunger more for God. And by fasting we are trying to prepare our hearts for greater fellowship with Him in 2015.
Jesus taught that He was the bread of life (John 6:35) and that man doesn't only live off of food, but rather the every word of the Lord (Deuteronomy 8:3). Fasting in positioning ourselves to receive grace and giving ourselves the opportunity to feast on the Word of God.
It seems silly to say, but while you are fasting, it is important to actually pray! Otherwise you are dieting (and more than likely grumpy). So here is what we are going to be praying as a church:
John 1:23 - Prepare they way of the Lord
- Ask God to prepare our church for devotion, fellowship and experiencing God
- Ask God what He is asking us to do to increase personal devotion (take time to journal and listen!)
Isaiah 55:1-3 - The Compassion of the Lord!
- Ask God to satisfy us with the nearness of His presence
- Ask God how He wants to satisfy you personally
Deuteronomy 8:3 - The Word of the Lord
- Ask God to bring life to our church by His Word
- Ask God where where does He want to bring life to you through His word
Psalm 16:11 - Joy in His Presence
- Ask God to give our church fullness with the joy of His presence
- Ask God to give you specific ways He wants to give you joy
Isaiah 58:6-12 - Repentance
- Ask God to grant us a spirit of repentance for not seeing others as He does
- Ask God to show you ways to loose the bonds of wickedness in our city
John 1:33-34 - Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Ask Jesus to baptize our church in the Holy Spirit for Christ exalting ministry
- Ask God where and how He would have you exalt Christ
- Ask God to grant us a year of fruitfulness so that our joy may be full!
- Ask God what fruit He wants to produce in you and your family
As your pastor and one of the leaders of the church, I am inviting us all into this! I would like everyone to fast together. Yet I know there are some who will not or cannot abstain from food due to health reasons. However, I would encourage you still to participate by fasting in some personal way (ex. social media, entertainment or television) and join us in prayer.
There is no God like Jehovah!
PS - I may have cried at the viewing of this version of Days of Elijah
Here are some resources on fasting: